Tuesday, November 4, 2008

Jed's Landcruiser bodywork extravaganza

I tried my hand at body work during October, and here are the results. I attacked a spot on the driver's side quarter panel, and another spot on the passenger side rocker panel. I poked most of the quarter panel hole with my hand; it was pretty rusted out. I had previously tried to clean up and paint the rocker panel hole before deciding to fill it in. Here are the before pictures:


Here are the holes with most of the rust ground out and shaped to make fitting a plate in easier:


Here is with a plate welded into the support behind the quarter panel and a plate welded into the rocker panel hole. The welding was a real pain because the body steel was so thin due to corrosion. I had to cut it back a lot to get to the thicker steel.

Here is the initial paint job (I forgot to take a picture of the outer quarter panel weld job before painting it):
Then I threw on some bondo for smoothness. The bondo instructions wanted me to put it on bare steel, but I don't trust it to keep the rust out, so I put it on top of the paint. Hopefully it won't fall off when I hit a bump.
Here is the final paint job on the quarter panel. I forgot to take a picture of the rocker panel paint job, but you can just imagine how swell it is.

So now I know how to do low quality body work. If I get around to it I might put the black stripe back on the quarterpanel bottom, but I don't know if I've got it in me. Next up is making the spare tire not rattle around.

1 comment:

Whittaker Family said...

Looks great! I'm very impressed. Should help protect the tub during the salty winter roads.