Tuesday, June 24, 2008

We Are the Caretakers of the Earth

My roommates and I have acquired a (free) gardening plot at the new community garden down the street. We are planting lettuce, lavender, tomatoes, watermelon (so we suspect... we got the starts for free, unlabeled), marigolds, and whatever else we find a long the way. Yesterday we tilled the hard, chunky dirt, mixed in compost, watered it, and let it sit over night. It felt good to revive the hard, dry earth, and make room for life. Today we are going to mix in another bag of compost and plant the starts. I'm excited about this chance to get close to the earth and step into becoming a caretaker of the Earth. We live in the Garden of Edan. We have cast ourselves out by creating the world we live in with a mentality that we have fallen from grace (we love our stories of victim hood). We believe and succumb to the story of us being separate from God, forgetting that He speaks in the wind blowing through the trees, the sun bathing the earth in light, or as the still small voice". My intent in our gardening project is to gain a deeper connection with the divine so I may realize in my heart my responsibility to become a creator and a steward of the Earth.

"We aren't only here to grow corn, we are here to grow Gods." -Don Antonio Morales

I hope to take some picture of our garden plot and our planter in the front yard (its finally full of life!) and "pot" the pictures here for your viewing pleasure.

Thank you CJ for creating this space! Weee!

Love,
Scott

4 comments:

Ann Marie said...

Hip, Hip, Hooray! AND I am soooo JEALOUS!! That will be oh so wonderful to grow such yummy and healthy things. I love your thoughts on God...in the wind indeed!
CJ and I just celebrated the Summer Solstice...see my blog http://ageoldtree.blogspot.com (scroll down a bit) to see...I think you would have liked our ceremonies.

Whittaker Family said...

Jed says: Man, I want to be able to grow tomatos, especially ones with salmonella.

CJ said...

Scott, that is so cool. Ann and I have been talking about community gardens in Sacramento. There are a few around where we live, we just need to meet someone who'll let us join in. I drive out in the farmland an d wish i could work with the earth also. I write this as I am in my office at work...at least I have big skylights.

Whittaker Family said...

Man, all these comments about wanting to work the earth. Remember all the opportunities in your youth to work in the Garden! I'm glad some of the love of dirt transfered.

I agree, Scott, we are the caretakers. I had a little rant about the Lake Powell pipeline in our BF meeting today.

We've got a garden here - potatoes, squashes and cuke's are looking great. The jury is out on the tomatoes, peppers and basil.

Love to all, Mom