Monday, June 23, 2008

Jed and the 69 cruiser

I took ol' Bess up to Big Elk Meadows with some friends on Saturday for some exercise. Unfortunately I forgot to bring a camera. I got briefly high centered on my front diff in a mud pit, but a tow strap and a little gas got me off. About 2 hours in we stopped to enjoy the view and one of my friends noticed that the front driver's side leaf spring shackle was busted. The top bolt was sheared on one side and looked to have been broken for awhile. It was a nervous ride back home, but the other side of the bolt held out and I made it home without any problem. So now I've got to either make or buy a new shackle before the cruiser leaves my garage.

Which brings me to my next point: I blew a bunch of money on a welder this week so I can waste a bunch of time in my garage. It's a nice 120 V MIG that is supposed to weld up to 5/16" steel. I'm sure Ann is jealous. The welder came with a free 4 hour welding class, which is good because I don't really know what I'm doing. I tried welding some scrap together on Saturday, and I was successful, but my welds were UGLY. I'm sure the welding class will really help. Maybe when I'm home for the Powell trip dad and I can weld together a cage for Brutus because we need to contain such a ferocious animal.

No comments: